Monday, January 3, 2011

In A Pickle

Well, I suppose I've really gone and done it now...


I've put off the inevitable for as long as I could, but the day of reckoning had to come.


We left the apartment early in the morning on New Year's Day.


I delayed it until the fear of being arrested for criminal trespass was too real. I delayed because I hoped beyond rational reasoning that Jake would send some child support and I would be saved. I delayed because I'm dead flat broke and have no place to go. I just had another week of having no work because I had no car to get there.


Now I have a car that runs, but no home...


The worst part of all of this is that we had to split up. Danielle is staying at a friends house. At least I know she's safe, fed and warm. We're keeping in touch by phone and email. Wally and I went by to see her yesterday and take her some of her warm clothes.


Wally and I are together and living in the car. I was so surprised when we woke up the first morning to find ice on the INSIDE of the car windows! Afterwards I realized that it made perfect sense, but I guess I'd just never thought about it before.


The days seem very long and the nights are even longer.


I'd hoped to get work for this week lined up today, but I never got a call back. I must have work this week! I'll try again tomorrow.


I'd hoped to spend a little time online to job search but this morning while we were at the coffee shop, (for 3 bucks you can get two coffees, free refills and 4 hours of wi-fi) but we couldn't get the laptop to start up.


I went to Blob-Life to donate plasma. That gave us some gas money. We're at the library now, where Wally finally managed to get the laptop working. I was starting to get really discouraged because I cannot check out any books or use their computers here because I owe 13 dollars in fees (that I was unaware of) Geez, is there anybody that I don't owe money to?


Now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that when I turn this thing off that it will come back on someday... preferably tomorrow.


From here we're going to walk down to the soup kitchen. I think they actually do serve soup. It would be nice to have something hot. I was able to get some food stamps again but I have to be very careful with them, plus you cannot get any hot prepared food with them anyway and we have no way to heat anything.


This is pretty much... awful...


But we are okay. Wally and I are laughing and joking our way through it. We have had a lot of time to talk. There are no distractions now.


It is just us.


We will get through this.

No comments:

Post a Comment