Friday, October 8, 2010

The Twilight Zone Days Are Over

I've decided to put in my notice tomorrow at Twilight...


I went in last night. I was running a few minutes late but still managed to clock in before I was technically late.


I went to sign in (as I must or else I will be reprimanded, written up and/or terminated) and check in with "the manager in charge"... which just means finding one of the 216 managers that they have... *sigh* (everyone who is anyone is a "manager" of something or another... I usually just check in with the manager of aisle 9 )


Went to the bakery and was surprised to find Twang there. I was unaware that he was scheduled with me, but good... GREAT really, because Friday's are always a nightmare...


I checked to see if we had any orders. Oddly enough there was nothing for donuts. A relief since we usually have 12-25 dozen on order every Friday.


Then I went to check for notes or communication from the previous shift... and that's when I saw it...


Remember I told you about my verbal reprimand yesterday? Which was fine. I was wrong. I really should have cleared leaving early with one of our 316 managers. We have so many I'm sure I could've eventually found one that would've said okay... the manager of aisle 12 is pretty nice...


Well, Mr American had put my reprimand in writing which is okay, in detail, okay, including things that he did not say to me, pretty iffy on being okay...BUT..


HE LEFT IT LAYING OUT IN PLAIN VIEW FOR EVERYONE TO SEE. Right on the bench. Right on top. Right where everybody goes to see what's up for the day... So most probably, everyone that worked yesterday saw it... and I know for a fact that Twang saw it last night minutes before I got there.


THAT is when the top of my head BLEW OFF!


I ranted for a few moments... then I laughed hysterically... it just freeking FIGURES... WHY should I EVEN be SURPRISED?????


Twang instantly turned green and told me he thought he was sick... I instantly knew he thought I was so pissed off that I was going to walk out of there and leave him to flounder around trying to do a job he has not been completely trained for... and he hates... and he's afraid of the fryer... and he's afraid of the mixer... and he's afraid of the rack ovens (although he is getting braver there) and I understand. It is scary at first, opening this huge oven door and you get that blast of heat and then you have to practically step inside of it to pull a rack out.


So, I shut up about my silly little upset and babied him along for a while... if ya could just hang in there for a couple more hours... come on...it's alright... really... it's okay... sorry I kinda lost my cool there for a moment.


When my whopping 5 hour shift was up I was RUNNING for the doors... please let me get out of here before I run into any of the 416 managers that are on duty now. Let me out of here! Oh crap! There's the manager of aisle 13, head for the other door!!!


When I got home I called my UNION rep... (not that it will do any good)... but at least I can say I called her. I pretty much blabbered.... told her what happened today... how upset I was.... told her about the crappy "notes" I've received.... told her I've been having problems since day number one... it has been an endless series of absolute junk. I'm tired over being thrown under the bus every single day. I'm quiting, giving notice tomorrow, I'm calling the companies harassment hotline... and I'm getting a lawyer. I'm completely fed up. I think I even spewed a four letter word... I'm not sure what I said, I was on the verge of being hysterical.


Doncha know how flippin fast she called me back?... within mere minutes... oh yeah? Well, it's MY turn to NOT answer my phone! She is oh-so-concerned about me. I should call her back right away, she's worried about me... uh huh... whatever... I'll just BET she is...


I'm calmer now... time to shift my sight and put my interests into my NEW job...


My heart sank as I arrived yesterday for my interview and was told that the woman was not there... I was directed next door to the salon. What? Is she getting her hair done? I went over there and she was sitting at the desk. (she owns the salon too) We talked for a few minutes... I got an idea of what she wants, and yes, I think I can do it...


When we went over to the bakery and I started checking out her equipment, that was when I got my chance to sing. I opened the rondo and took the plates out to check it over. It is an ancient machine (no safety guards) but it's in great shape, looks like it was never used... she was already impressed that I actually knew how to raise the lid on it.


Then she led me to the sheeter. Holy cow! It was brand NEW! My eyes glazed over and my mouth started to water. I have never seen a new sheeter before. She explained how they couldn't get it running, didn't know how to adjust it and their dough was too soft to run through it and it got stuck.


I looked at her and flipped it on... dough too soft?... This baby is MADE to run dough... any kind of dough. I looked it over. Someone had sprayed cooking spray in it... no no... only flour and dough goes in here. I assured her that I would get it running for her and she seemed very pleased.


She also had two brand new convection ovens! WOW! And a very large flatbread oven, never used one like it before but I will learn. The proof box is going to be a problem because it is very small. They also proof things on the floor the old fashioned way. ( I don't mean literally "on the floor" I mean on a rack out in the bakery area) They have very nice vinyl rack covers and even a heated pan (to put water in) to proof product that way... I have done that before and it works, but it's slow and it's going to be even slower in the winter when it gets cold.


Cooler space is another big problem.. "Where's your dough for tomorrow?" I asked, and she led me out into their storefront... to a large two door cooler that they sold bottled drinks out of.... and there were BOWLS of dough covered in white bags in there. I think the look of total shock on my face gave me away.

2 comments:

  1. I was so excited about the posting which follows this one that I almost forgot to come back and read about your last days in the Twilight Zone!!!

    That next posting makes more sense now after reading this one.

    Kim, I am so happy for you and look forward to reading about your adventures in your new job;
    I just KNOW you're gonna knock their sox off!!!

    8 )

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock my friend and I know you can do amazing things and will....you are special
    Love you,
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete